Key Messages & Talking Points SB 512 & 513
|Key Messages |
Michigan's cemetery businesses are strictly regulated by the State
of Michigan under the Michigan Cemetery Regulation Act. We strongly
support consumer protection guaranteed by the strict financial oversight
of the death care industry.
Michigan consumers are protected because Michigan cemeteries are required
- be registered with the State of Michigan.
- be licensed by the State of Michigan to sell certain pre-need
- permanently trust 15 percent of each lot sale to provide for
the perpetual care of the cemetery.
- trust 130 percent of the current cost of cemetery merchandise
- submit detailed annual 10-page auditing reports to the state
Department of Consumer & Industry Services. (Funeral homes are
only required to submit limited review reports once every three
| Michigan cemeteries support additional consumer protections,
- Increasing and strengthening the financial reporting requirements
for funeral homes, which currently are only required to submit
limited review financial reports once every three years.
- Stringent reporting requirements by funeral homes. These requirements
should be no less than those required by cemeteries. Pre-need
sales give consumers the opportunity to make decisions - and lock
in today's prices - without the stress and demand of time and
- A "Michigan Consumer Funeral Protection Fund," to be established
to cover the cost of providing merchandise and/or services to
any pre-need customers whose contracts have been breached.
- Refunding of monies paid for funeral and cemetery merchandise
- Allowing joint ownership of cemeteries and funeral homes in
Michigan, which is already allowed in more than 40 states.